Monday, May 21, 2012

Welcome to My Teaching Portfolio!

Welcome to my online teaching portfolio!  



My name is Elizabeth Ann Mace and I am seeking employment as a French or an ESL teacher for the 2012-2013 school year.

I am a 2010 graduate from Trinity College where I earned a Bachelor of Arts degree with double honors in French Language and Literature and Italian Studies.  I am also a 2012 graduate from New York University where I earned my Master of Arts degree with honors from Kappa Delta Pi in the Teaching of French as a Foreign Language and the Teaching of English as a Second Language.  I am certified in French (1-12) and ESL (K-12).  Through my educational experiences I was able to spend over two years living abroad and traveling the world.

My student teaching experiences in French and ESL over the past three years have afforded me the opportunity to instruct a wide variety of students from various backgrounds and all facets of society.  As a result, I am a compassionate educator who has developed a unique and flexible style of teaching, capitalizing on my own talents and resources, while addressing the individual learning styles and needs of the students.  My student teaching experiences have allowed me to nurture students’ cultural tolerance and understanding through unique and memorable lessons, often incorporating artifacts and personal experiences from my years of living abroad, while integrating students’ linguistic and cultural backgrounds.

I am excited to begin my teaching career and I look forward to sharing my experiences with my future students so that they may become excited about the limitless opportunities the world has to offer!


**Below, you will find the following categories:

  • Teaching Philosophy
  • Professional Recommendations
  • Student Recommendations and Feedback
  • French Sample Lesson Plans (2)
  • ESL Sample Lesson Plans (2)
  • Student Work in French
  • Student Work in ESL




Teaching Philosophy

"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." - William Butler Yeats

  • What students are taught must be relevant to their lives so that they become lifelong learners.
  • "The Atlas Complex" has no place in foreign and second language education; students must be at the center of and take responsibility for their education.
  • Successful teaching comes as a result of being flexible, reflective and willing to strive for improvement, while ensuring that best educational practices are always being met.
  • Teachers must make the content curriculum accessible to all learners, without exception, and students should be given multiple ways of demonstrating their learning.


Professional Recommendations

The following recommendations are from my cooperating teachers in French and ESL, and from a professor at New York University.







Student Recommendations and Feedback

The following recommendations and examples of student feedback are from my students from both my French (high school) and ESL (elementary school) classes.















French - Sample Lesson Plans and Supporting Materials

This lesson plan is an example of how I motivate beginner French students on a daily basis by connecting to their lives (this lesson is about texting in French), while reviewing essential vocabulary and incorporating technology.  The lesson plan also shows my reflective notes about the lesson; I am constantly reflective and extremely appreciative of feedback. 







This lesson plan is an example of how collaborative efforts can benefit student learning in an Intermediate French class.  By collaborating with Special Education Educators, I was able to better target challenge areas for students with special needs in my French class, while still facilitating students reaching their highest potential.











ESL - Sample Lesson Plans and Supporting Materials

This lesson plan is an example of how I motivate my middle school ESL students.  I created "The Grammar Games" based on their reading of "The Hunger Games" in the ELA class.  This game targets challenge areas for my middle school students including punctuation, verb tense, and subject verb agreement.








This lesson plan is an example of how I motivate high school ESL students as the poem being studied in this lesson is written by Pat Mora, a writer who discusses the challenges of being bilingual and bi-cultural.  This lesson was performed near the end of Poetry Month (April).








French - Student Work

These examples of student work from my French I class show the linguistic and cultural progression of first-year French students, from the exploration of La Francophonie to using the French language for academic and personal enjoyment by creating a "Facebook" profile.






ESL - Student Work

This example of student work for my ESL program shows a second grader's Doctor's Box which was made after a community helpers thematic unit.







This example of student work from my ESL program shows a fourth grader's fictional narrative written for the culmination of a thematic unit on immigration.






This example of student work from my ESL program shows a seventh grader's work for an activity within an interdisciplinary unit with the math department about geometry.